Status: Full Time
Job Title: Jr Engineer, Engineer, Sr Engineer, Principal Engineer
Compensation: Competitive Salary + Equity for qualified candidates
Location: This position can be done remotely during the pandemic, but ideally the candidate would be in Northern or Southern California, or willing to relocate, once MeetKai’s offices open back up.
MeetKai is a cutting-edge AI startup focused on human-device interaction. Founded in 2018 by Weili Dai and James Kaplan, MeetKai is well financed and scaling quickly. We have a core team of 14 and looking to (at least) double by the end of the year. We have offices (currently closed) in Santa Clara and Marina Del Rey. We have a woman-majority board, and most of our business and prospective business is international.
Your will be expected to:
- Wear many different hats and be comfortable with having to context switch accordingly as needed. We aren't expecting everyone to be comfortable with every aspect of backend engineering at the start, but a willingness to learn is key.
- Be able to operate at any level of the tech stack — As an example, if you are seeing issues with connections to the backend from the android app this would mean being comfortable with looking at the android code to debug it.
- Be comfortable with learning new languages — if it turns out that we need to rewrite a module in Rust then so it will be!
- Write code that can actually run in production. While projects may start out as PoCs they should end up being battle tested and ready to run with minimal downtime in production.
- Coordinate features additions with frontend team and make sure that backwards compatibility is not a problem.
- Be able to build tests for interconnected systems, especially ones that can involve ML.
- And most importantly, come up with ideas! The best product is one where the most people touch it, we are looking for people with diverse view points to bring those to play here and contribute to the product.
Ideally at least one of the following:
- Undergraduate in CS or Engineering
- A background in STEMs of any kind and a coding bootcamp
- A few open source projects that you can provide as examples of your work
- Extreme attention to detail and a major willingness to learn
- Have built or maintained at least one large project
- At least 5 years of programming experience in at least 3 languages.
- A solid understanding of systems architectures
- A solid understanding cloud deployment patterns (k8s)
- A solid understanding of at least one database technology
- Extreme attention to detail
- Experience in management of more Jr engineers is a plus